Friday 3 February 2012

Social Butterfly

Social Butterfly

Dear Auntie Twist,

I hope you decide to answer my email as nobody else on the internet seems to want to give me any advice.

I really like this girl in school but I don't know how to approach her. My friends say that I should just friend her on Facebook but I've only talked to her a few times and I don't know whether she'll think I'm creepy.

I've looked at her facebook and she has loads of friends. Some of them are guys and I feel really jealous when I see conversations between her and them.

She's really extroverted while I'm kind of introverted. I'm okay looking and we're both 15.

What should I do?

From
A Social Caterpillar.

Dear Social Caterpillar,

You strike me as a bright lad. For one thing, I work with plenty of adults who wouldn't know how to use “extroverted” in a sentence. The problem bright, young things often have is that you can tend to over-think things and when you start doing that, before you know it, molehills has become mountains!

I've got a bunch of people on my Facebook who I met at meetings or on courses. I've got people on my Facebook who I've never met, except for in the Twitterverse! These days, the Facebook friend request is a natural, simple step that shouldn't be weighty.

The Way I See Things, why not go for it? Just don't let the digital world be a substitute for real life. Why not say hi to her in person? You seem shy, but you admit to being “okay looking” and you're a smarty-pants to boot! Just...maybe don't repeat the part about looking at her Facebook and reading her conversations. I can understand your envy of the guys who've already struck up the courage to friend this girl, but getting possessive of a girl you like-from-a-distance but don't really know yet is a wee bit creepy.

With love from Auntie Twist x



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts on my answers, and I am sure the askers would love extra advice to go with my own ramblings!